The New Jersey Space Grant Consortium (NJSGC) was established in 1991 and is charged with progressing the goals of the Space Grant national program.
NJSGC, in partnership with academia, industry, state, and private parties, collaborates to promote and administer NASA's education
programs in the state of New Jersey. In this context, the New Jersey Space Grant Consortium has adopted an aggressive program development and outreach effort along with the development of its core programs involving higher education, fellowship, industry-university research, pre-college and informal education programs.
NJSGC has established a wide network of affiliates and contacts to serve the higher education and research needs of New Jersey.
The New Jersey Space Grant Consortium offers a broad range of programs to support the educational and research activities of New Jersey’s college students and researchers. Please note the following:
By NASA mandate, most of our programs are geared towards college students, graduate students and faculty.
By NASA mandate, only U.S. citizens are eligible for support from the New Jersey Space Grant Consortium.
- Academic Year Fellowship - One year fellowships for undergraduate students in N.J. universities, to conduct research in STEM and space science related fields.
- Summer Fellowships - Summer fellowships for undergraduate students to conduct research in space sciences at N.J. universities or industry.
- NASA Internships - Opportunity for undergraduate or graduate level internship at a NASA center. Students apply directly through the NASA portal intern.nasa.gov
- Graduate Student Fellowship - Up to $7,500 fellowships for graduate students conducting research in STEM and space science fields. Fellowship amount can be used to pay tuition or as a stipend.
- Travel support
- Research Clusters Program
- Minority Graduate Student Development
- Community College Research Program
- Senior Design Project Support - Support of aerospace related senior design projects in N.J. universities. Up to $600 per project.
- Co-Op/Internship Program - Placement of N.J. undergraduate students in STEM and aerospace in co-op internships at N.J. corporations.
- Aerospace Course Development - Enhancement of the number of aerospace related courses through $4,000 grants to faculty for developing new courses.
- Summer student programs at the NASA Goddard Institute of Space Study
- Summer Development Programs - This program provides funding to NJ Colleges for innovative programs for enhancing the backgrounds of entering and second-year STEM students.
- Rocketry, Ballooning, and CubeSat - New Jersey students and faculty develop student-centered projects involving rocketry, balloon, and small satellites.
- K-12 Bridge Programs - The K-12 bridge program provides funding for activities run by college faculty and students for K-12 students.
- STEM Teacher Training - science and astronomy K-12 teacher training
- Planetarium Support